I'm currently battling a cold/sinus infection/thing, which got me thinking. Is it better to workout when you're sick (sweat it out) or just to lay low. I always battle with myself over this. I mean, I may be sick, but am I so sick that I need to go lay in bed all day? Today that answer was no. I have been lucky this time around because I've had time to sleep and rest, work (though not super productively), and workout.
My theory is this: If whatever illness I happen to have does not involve my lungs, stomach (flu), or a fever, I usually will try to workout, even if it's just for a 1/2 hour and isn't very intense. Activity during a cold or sinus infection (though it can be a huge issue to breathe through) seems to lessen the symptoms, even if only for a few hours. I've also read that working out can boost your immune system, so it's a double whammy!
Whenever I accidently ingest something gluten-containing and I get symptoms, exercise is really the only thing that will help me feel better for a little while. Trust me, if you know what it's like to have Celiac-like issues, you know that working out is the last thing you want to do! But, if I can get my butt off the couch and go for a walk longer than 30 minutes (no matter how slow), it really seems to help.
So with cold and flu season on the horizon, I have been considering carrying a can of Lysol (or rather Method Antibac spray) with me where ever I go. If this is a cold, I think I got it from the gym I recently joined. If it's a sinus issue, then I blame the season. Soon, however, I will be in close contact with 170 undergraduates. If I don't get sick again, it will be a miracle!
On a different note, I had a kid (estimated age of 16) congratulate me for working out today at the gym. When she asked when I started coming to the gym, I told her I joined last week. She then proceeded to look all smug and say that she's been coming to the gym since she's been 12 and that some people just make a habit out of it. I, of course, kept my mouth shut, as per my personaility, but I couldn't help but think that I've been a regular exerciser for longer than she's been alive! Aparently since I hadn't joined that gym years ago, I have never worked out in my life, according to her mind. Oh to be so naive again!
Oh well, I'll go on with my life knowing that even if I had just joined a gym and started working out for the first time in my life, you have to start somewhere and whenever you make the decision to make your life healthier in any form, it's a good thing.
Stay healthy!
2 comments:
I've often wondered the same thing about whether it's better push through a workout or just rest when I'm not feeling well. I used to not really be good at knowing my boundaries with this but I think I'm getting better. One of my rules of thumb now is if I'm physically/mentally not feeling that great, I only do whatever I can do that doesn't compromise my ability to take full breaths in and out while doing it. If it's considerably difficult for me to breath while working out, I usually skip the heavy workout and do lots of deep stretches and concentrate on breathing. I add on a little more if I feel up to it (walking, short bike ride, floor exercises, etc.) but try not to push too hard when my body needs a rest(when I do, I usually end up either sicker or pulling a muscle or something). I'm thinking breathing = muy imporante.
That's funny about the kid at the gym...some people just think that they are natural personal trainers. It sounds like you're really staying on track with all this--that's fantastic! I want to be healthy by 30 too!!
Thanks Nicole! I feel like 30 is coming up way too soon! Just over 6 months... So much to do! I worked out (mostly light weights, walking, and biking) all of the days I was sick except for 2 and I feel like I am getting over this a lot faster. This wasn't the most horrible sinus infection that I've ever had but my doc still thought I needed antibiotics. I'm only on day 3 of meds and am already feeling much better! Whether it was all the vitamins, the meds, or the working out, I'm not sure!
Post a Comment