Apple Cinnamon Sorbet
| FYI for those who have a hard time sticking to a serving size when it comes to frozen treats (like me!), use smaller bowls! I love to use these small prep bowls. |
Sugar-free version is 84 calories per serving
Agave nectar version is 144 calories per serving.
Ingredients
2 large gala apples, cored and cut into 1/4" chunks*
1 large Bartlett pear, cored and cut into 1/4" chunks*
1 cup water
1/4 cup Truvia -OR- Stevia-based sweetener -OR- Agave Nectar
1 tsp cinnamon (if you are as cinnamon-obsessed as I am, you can use 2 tsp of cinnamon)
Add all ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil on the stove top. Reduce heat and simmer until the apples are very soft. Take off the stove and puree using an immersion blender or a regular blender. Place into a freezer safe container and let cool on the counter for a 1/2 hour. Chill in the freezer for 6 hours, stirring every 1/2 to 1 hours for the first 3 hours. Enjoy!
*You can peel the fruit if you want a very smooth sorbet. I prefer to leave it on for a chunkier sorbet as the skins of fruit add extra fiber and nutrients.
Oh...onions!
I love onions! Since needing to go gluten free, I have missed onion rings. I don't love fried foods, but onions rings are great! I have made the following recipe a number of times and, even though the onion rings look a little messy and look a little homely, they are crunchy, fantastic, and completely hit the spot! You will not want to share these, which is fine because the entire batch is about 240 calories! Chow down!
Gluten Free Baked Onion Rings
Serves 2, unless your really hungry or craving onion rings, then it only serves 1.
Ingredients
1 large yellow onion, cut into thick rings and separated
1 egg white
1 tbsp ground flax meal
2 tbsp medium grind corn meal
1 slice gluten free bread, toasted and crumbled (I used Udi's)
Salt and Pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Dash smoked paprika (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350F. Mix the egg white and a dash of water into a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, mix the flax, corn meal, crumbled bread, and spices. Dip the onion rings into the egg white and then into the dry breading mix. Spread out onto a sprayed (or oiled) baking sheet. Once done breading all of the onion rings, spray the top of the rings lightly with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes, or until the breading is golden brown.
No comments:
Post a Comment