Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Unlimited

First things first.  On my post on Saturday, I challenged myself to 30 miles of some combo of running, walking, and hiking over six days (Mon-Sat) + 4 days of lifting weights.  Things are going well thus far!  I took Sunday as a rest day as per the plan, but I find that rest days just make me feel like crap - tired and lazy, both on the rest day and the next day.  I may try to do a little something, like a slow walk, on rest days. 

Never-the-less, I walked 5 miles on the treadmill yesterday and 6 miles (3 outside, 3 on the treadmill) + 30 minutes weights today.  So, I've got 11 miles in in 2 days!  I figure there will be a day later in the week where I will want to walk less, so I went a little longer today.  Tomorrow I have a mid-morning appointment so I will likely break up my workout a little bit, which actually makes it easier.  I haven't run this week as my knee has been acting up again.  I enjoy running but when my knee hurts, I can't help but think that I will just cause more damage if I do a high impact activity.

My second topic of the day is Jillian Michael's book, Unlimited.  I passed this book by about six or seven times and finally broke down and bought it on Monday.  I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it but I am really enjoying it.  This book isn't exactly about how to succeed in physical health, but the advise provided in this book can be applied to your career, mental health, relationships, physical health, really any part of your life that you are having a problem with.  I will provide a more complete review of this book, but for now, I'd like to share my favorite quote from the book.

"...it's my dream, so back off and start working on your own."

Why do I like this quote so much?  Because sometimes I feel like I am surrounded by so much negativity.  I hear over and over again people talk about what other people are working towards and how much they don't support it.  Here's the thing - if that person is working towards something that will make them happy and doing it in a non-destructive manner, why should anyone else care or try to make them feel bad about it?  I think we all need to support those in our lives and focus on working towards our own goals and dreams.  I end this post with another quote from Unlimited:

"Think of it like throwing a boomerang (if anyone actually knows how to do that): whatever you think and feel comes back to you.  And thus the word is karma."

No comments: